Sunday, October 5, 2014

Sept 22nd: HAPPY WEEK BEFORE THE WEEK OF GENERAL CONFERENCE!

I'm a little bit excited... I can't wait!

YO. Next Monday we learn what's happening with transfers AND who's going to general conference! We only go once in the mission now (since there are so many missionaries), but I still have this false hope that I'll be going. Totally illogical thinking. Oh well.

I apologize, I forgot how to chronological-ize things... This email is a mixed up mumbo jumbo of last week+today.

We went to the temple this morning, and it was lovely. I've missed it so much. It's been THREE MONTHS since I last went! Man. I never want to go that long again... But I have to, because the next time we can go is in December... Dang it. My plan's been foiled. But after going from going twice a months to once a quarter, I know I definitely prefer going twice a month. That will be how things are done when I come back. They'll have to kick me out!

Bueno... We then walked to Subway across the street from the Creamery on 9th so my companion could grab a bite to eat, where I saw Zac Atherton! My family likely won't know who he is, but he served in the FJM. That was cool. :)

FUNNY STORY TIME:
So last Monday, we went to this place that's like a higher class Taco Bell. We were seated in a booth behind a couple who appeared to be on their first date. This guy was killing it. It's like he was a PRO at first dates (he's probably not had many second ones...) So among the other really arrogant things he said, trying desperately to make himself look good, he told a touching story. He said someone about puppies or little ducklings (or whatever it was) loving bubbles. He described the intensity of cute like this:
"Look, I'm a tough guy. I ride a motorcycle. I usually have a beard. But it even touched my heart! I giggled. I giggled!"
Horchata almost came out my nose.
It was wonderful. He sure has a way with words.

This week has been über slow. Not much to report on. Our teaching pool is diminishing because we baptized our only progressing investigators! Were working on finding. I think some of the former investigators could be promising. :)

So we were in a class where we were talking about the temple dedication and what it means. We sang The Spirit of God, and when we sang "the veil o'er the earth is beginning to burst!" my brain just exploded and I started to cry. DUDE. The veil over the earth is beginning to BURST. IS THAT NOT EXCITING? What an cool blessing to be here when the Lord is getting ready to come.

So we talked about the Hosanna shout. And now I'm fascinated by the word "hosanna." I always thought it was the same as "hallelujah," as in just a word of praise and adoration. It's Hebrew for "save us" or "deliver us." When we're shouting "hosanna" (whole-souled, given to the full limit of our strength, as we're instructed) we're we're begging The Lord to save us. It's something that's done at the entrance of the Savior. When He entered Jerusalem and the people waved palm branches, when He came to the Americas in 3 Nephi 11, in the premortal life when we were presented the plan (and Christ was presented as our Savior), and President Lorenzo Snow said that's how we will greet Him when He comes again; we shout "Save us!" We're asking Him to come. We're inviting in the Second Coming. Hosanna, indeed.

I have something to tell you. It's important, so listen up.

Heavenly Father is as real as the Thai food I ate on Friday. I promise you.

I was having the worst most awful terrible day, and I was upset to the point of nausea (we also went to a Chinese buffet as a district for lunch. And by Chinese buffet, I mean fried meats in fake Chinese sauces. Not a vegetable in sight that wasn't an old garnish). Needless to say, I wasn't feeling at the top of my game. Later in the day went home to do weekly planning and our dinner appointment texted and asked where she could meet us. She was outside with... Thai food. Now for those of you who don't know, Thai is my very favorite, and these past couple of days I've really wanted Thai food. Heavenly Father is the only one in Provo (and I know He's in Provo, I feel Him everyday :)) who knew that about me. He sent me this little token of His love on a tough day as a reminder that He knows what I'm going through, and He knows me. He knows when I'm upset, and He knew Thai food would make me feel better. It's the little things. :)

Saturday we got an email telling us to update our iPads to iOS 8! Do you remember that funny little fact about me? Software updates are like Christmas morning for me! I was so excited.

Mom, Alma 46:40 is your new favorite scripture. I miss going to the granary. I miss healthy things. Thanks, Alma. Haha

Wednesday morning during studies I was reading Mosiah 8. My brain was just screaming out "I WILL TRANSLATE FOR YOU! ...If I knew the language, and if I could get to you..." I just wanted to jump into the book and help. My companion thinks I'm weird. I just know I have a deep deep love for translations. :)

Comparing scriptures in different languages really helps me understand, too. Sunday morning I was reading Alma 48:23 in English, and it says "they were sorry to take up arms against the Lamanites, because they did not delight in the shedding of blood; yea, and this was not all--they were sorry to be the means of sending so many of their brethren out of this world into an eternal world, unprepared to meet their God."

I thought "I wonder how "they were sorry" would translate into Spanish." So I looked it up! In Spanish it says "It burdened them to have to take up arms against the Lamanites, because they did not delight in the shedding of blood; yea, and not only that, but it afflicted them to be the means by which so many of their brethren would be sent from this world to an eternal world, without being prepared to present themselves before God."

In Portuguese it says it made them sad to take up arms, and they lamented to be forced to be the instruments that would send many of their brethren from this world.

Holy cow. Does that not hit you in the heart a little bit more? I'm so glad that direct translation is not possible. Having to dance around differences in languages really helps you to see things in a different way. I love languages, I love inspired translation, and I love the scriptures!

In other news, living in my own apartment has turned me into Ben: the MacGyver of the kitchen. Ice cream made from frozen bananas, 3 times (dulce de leche, strawberry, and peach). Baked apple (also with dulce de leche). All sorts of fun experiments with eggs... The kitchen is fun. And it's especially fun as a missionary. You're tired of eating the same things, you only have an hour, and you only have a few ingredients (some of which might have been in the area longer than you and your companion have), and are unable/too poor to go to the store. It's like an adventure everyday.

I've been trying to end this email for 20 minutes, and I keep typing up a paragraph about being broke and hungry. I obviously need to go grocery shopping and stop trying to end my email wittily.... So on that note...

I LOVE YOU! Enjoy the monumental amount of pictures... I take too many pictures and I talk too much... Dang it.

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting something important, but whatevs.

Love you all! :)

Hermana Willis

No comments:

Post a Comment